Blessed Sacrament Chapel

Blessed Sacrament Chapel
Click image

This chapel's altar of stone is adorned with a decorative baldachin. A baldachin (also known as a ciborium) is a canopy, usually of woven fabric, over an altar. Sir Ninian Comper designed the baldachin in 1952 and it cost £2,000. Around the front and side of the baldachin is the inscription: In principio erat verbum et verbum caro factum est ('In the beginning was the Word, and the word became flesh') from the first Chapter of St John's Gospel.

 


The Baldachin Canopy
Click image

 

On the roof of the canopy there is a depiction of Our Lady in Glory, as Queen of Heaven following her Assumption at the end of her earthly life.


The Tabernacle
click image

On the altar, a white sanctuary light burns to indicate the perpetual presence of the Body of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament. The sacrament is reserved so that it is always available to enable the Priests or other ministers to minister to the sick or dying. The Blessed Sacrament is kept in the tabernacle, a safe usually covered with a veil. It is called a tabernacle because this was the Old Testament word for the place where God was believed to make himself present in the closest way.


 


St Mary the Virgin East Grinstead. Church of England Parish in the Diocese of Chichester

© 2011 St Mary the Virgin. East Grinstead. All Rights Reserved
Site designed and maintained by Sarah's Web Design