History of the building

St Mary's is the parish church for the northern half of East Grinstead. We were founded about 110 years ago to meet the needs of the expanding town and to provide the town with worship of the catholic tradition within the Church of England. A tradition that we have upheld ever since.

The building is of red brick with stone dressings. It was designed by William Thorold Lowdell, mainly in the style of the 13th century; this is known as Victorian Gothic.

The Exterior of the Church
click image

Particularly interesting features include the round pillars of blue pennant stone, the arches of local sandstone and the wooden lintels and corbels over the windows in the side aisles. The stonework in the windows also shows the gothic style and the development of the 13th century tracery.

click image

Significant dates in the church's history

1883
Proposal to build a new church.
1888
Land for site earmarked and subscriptions invited.
1891
Foundation stone laid by the Archdeacon of Lewes. (7th July)
1893
Chancel and first bay of nave open for worship.
1896
The 2nd and 3rd bays of the nave are added.
1900
The organ installed.
1905
Consecrated by the Bishop of Chichester. (1st July)
1911
4th and 5th bays of the nave added as well as the porch, fleche and bell turret.
1928
The choir vestry added.

 


St Mary the Virgin East Grinstead. Church of England Parish in the Diocese of Chichester

© 2011 St Mary the Virgin. East Grinstead. All Rights Reserved
Site designed and maintained by Sarah's Web Design