The Reredos

The Reredos
Click Image

The reredos, with canopy was installed in 1918 as a memorial to Father Walter Handford, the first Vicar of the Church who served the parish for 25 years. The reredos is the name given to a a decorated wall or screen behind an altar and was designed by G.H. Fellowes-Prynne and was repainted and renovated in 1978.

The main central panel depicts Christ being shown to the world by his mother, the Virgin Mary whilst worshipped by two angels. The flanking panels to the left show St Joseph and St Peter, the panels to the right show St John the Baptist and St Paul.
The central lower panel shows the Crucifixion with a commemoration of the Last Supper represented by angels bearing the Body and Blood of Christ. The flanking panels (from left to right) contain scenes from the life of Mary and depict the Annunciation, the Visitation, the Nativity and the Presentaion.



St Mary the Virgin East Grinstead. Church of England Parish in the Diocese of Chichester

© 2011 St Mary the Virgin. East Grinstead. All Rights Reserved
Site designed and maintained by Sarah's Web Design